Sunday, November 22, 2009

Flat.

I've probably complained about my luck, or lack thereof, when it comes to flat tires - especially bicycles. Last summer I purchased a brand new mountain bike for a pretty penny, and in welcoming I flattened three (3) tires in the very first week. I wasn't even convinced that I was simply cursed but perhaps that it was my fault in some way.. the fact that by the time the biking season came to an end, I was closing in on double-digits for flats. My roommates couldn't help but laugh when I came home grumbling (sweaty and tired) all to often.

Fast forward to Ayuthaya, the former capital of Siam (Thailand) a few days ago. Larissa and I are a few hours into a sunny self-propelled tour of the city when I decide to take a shortcut through the park. This turns out to be a bad idea as I crash over a tree root and the pedaling becomes much more sluggish. *Uggh* Sending Larissa ahead I recall a repair shop nearby and leaning all my wait to the back (keeping it off the flat front wheel) I bike the few hundred meters (what? It's a rental!).

A grease-handed Thai man walking through the shop puts down what he is doing and sets to work immediately to remedy my problem. I watch the familiar process that he completes in just over 10 minutes (usually takes me 30+,mind you he has the right tools). With only a handful of English words spoken he sends me on my way with a smile as he says "free". I thank him with words and expression without anything else to give him (as he won't accept money). The rest of the day goes off without a hitch... well the sound & light show is terrible but that's about the worst of it.

Remember yesterday when I mentioned a new mode of transportation we might try today? Pretending like I'd ridden a motorbike before I have the hotel attendant just "show me how to start it". I should expand on motorbike, in fact it is a fairly new, but small (engine-wise) Honda motor scooter. Convincing enough she lets me drive off with the rental for the day with Larissa seated behind. We tour Sukhothai's ruins (the capital BEFORE Ayuthaya) and are happy enough to simply cruise by without entering as after two days worth we're starting to think stupas are pretty stupid (*groan*).

Back to the moral of this story. Ripping back down the highway (I mean going slowly and cautiously on the shoulder to all that will worry) I notice a repetitive rumbling and slow down to check it out. Having little mechanical inclination my cursory look doesn't come up with anything.. or perhaps I'd prefer to ignore it as I wouldn't know how to deal with it anyway. We stop at another massive Buddha (45th of the tour?) and take a break but on take off Larissa says she thinks something is wrong. Closer examination reveals that the rear tire is flat (and looks to be cracked already!). Wondering what to do, being ~15km from the guest house we consider calling them but wonder if the language gap will be too wide.

Using all my concentration I maintain a straight line and keep the speed constant. Seriously, if I let my mind wander to what is going to happen when we arrive at the guest house and the steering wheel moves even slightly the whole bike starts to wobble. The half hour ride home is therefore stressful, and to cover this discretion (again it is a rental!) I push it the last 200m to the door. Of course the waiver I signed in the morning says I'm responsible for damage.. but I coerce them into lowering the fee for fixing it and we get the heck out of there before the mechanic comes to actually take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment