Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bombs Away

Last I left you Diwali was about to begin in full force. My friend, Ranjit, from the internet cafe offered to show me around as night fell and more and more things began to burst around me. Walking down the street families had gathered at their home- or store-fronts to explode crackers into the night. From the way Ranjit was greeted I still cannot decide if he was the friendly-neighbour or the local drunk, but either way, everyone seemed to know him. Each shop we were stopped and I was introduced to the folks all milling about. "Happy Diwali" and "Same to you" was exchanged, as were handshakes and smiles for it was a joyous, festival atmosphere. Fireworks were thrust into my hand, which I was wary of but with the urging of many people around (peer-pressure) I lit one, which sparked not only the shower of fire, but also the pyro in me. Soon I was accepting all sorts of mini-explosives, as well as yummy traditional Indian sweets. That is until I took a bomb that is supposed to spray a meter of sparks into the air for a few seconds and then fizzle out... I lit it from a candle and a split second after I set it on the ground it blew. I was hit by a wave of light and heat, but fortunately no embers landed on me and besides being shaken up wasn't any worse for wear.
Over a Pepsi, Ranjit and I took in the larger fireworks in the distance until parting ways. Heading towards the train station I was sidetracked by a group of curious young Indian boys. It took all my strength to arm wrestle all eight of them... at once... but I proved victorious. Finally in the clear I was twenty steps from entering the train station when my sense of danger kicked in (ordinarily set to low) as a man began lighting an entire line of crackers mere meters away. I hurried on but the very first shot out and struck me directly in the top of the ear. It felt as if it burned but the man responsible rushed up and assured me it was okay. He offered to take care of me for the night but understandably annoyed I brushed him off as my train was leaving momentarily anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment