Thursday, May 8, 2014

BwM: Eunuch (UPDATED)

While I put the chicks outside (you've seen them) over 40 people were arriving to the refuge. Then as I chased the supposedly injured but surprisingly spry escaped cat down the lane everyone hushed me. I realised why as I watched Marko, the youngest bear on site at 2 y/o, spin in circles and try to reach the sedative dart sticking out of his neck. Eventually he settled but this was disconcertingly in his water pool, thankfully without his head under and a crew rushed in to transport him out in a rope net. I could only stand to watch the vet perform a hasty Brazilian shave before I was thankfully called away. Inside his vacated den we cleaned up, hiding nuts for his return without them. At one point I found myself atop his jungle gym replacing a worn out toy with a fresh tire swing.
I was fifteen minutes in the enclosure before my heart palpitations as I suddenly remembered somebody telling me the gate connected to the two bears in the next enclosure was unlocked and could simply be pushed over by them, allowing instant entry to where I was standing. Peaking down the tunnel it looked closed on the far end and this was confirmed by my fellow volunteer who said he had checked twice and laughed at my tardiness.
Soon he was returned to lay groggily for hours in the grass while I assisted in lunch preparations. Following was some quiet time as Marko continued to sleep it off. I had a task by the big bears and a couple of them came over to where I'd sat to watch them tussle. The biggest stuffed himself in a hole barely large enough for me and scratched on the post a meter away.
Still with unspecified afternoon volunteer tasks I offered to fix the broken bike and when that was compete tuned up the rest of the fleet. To make sure I'd done an adequate job I cruised to the next village with some incredible landscapes to race through while being pursued by no less than a dozen dogs. Back at base I sat by the fence and Mladi approached me curiously for a game of peak-a-bear while his main squeeze (bear hugs, mostly) rolled in the grass in the distance. When she decided to join us they too tussled some before crashing into the evening darkened bushes. Dinner was late meaning we'd already dipped into the pivo and afterward it once again descended into raki, at least accompanied by world politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment