Sunday, May 11, 2014

BwM: Hoes and Hoedowns

Thankfully after the long night at the restaurant and beyond my morning task was sitting in the shade assembling necklaces. Why then did I volunteer for the position of helping the neighbour with her potatoes (all the information I knew)? Because the neighbour was also the pizza shop and we were down to some potatoes and skanky peppers in our cellar. Hence why I found myself riding in a tractor drinking rakija in the sun before 10am - what hangover? Turns out 'her potatoes' was planting them by hand. Not to take my own field but I'm a natural with a hoe and we completed the whole field in two hours instead of the anticipated four, plus half an hour to drink pivo, eat bread and cheese and homemade cake in the shade. In compensation we enjoyed another beer on the patio and lazily waited for our pizza which eventually arrived. Our pick up, Renault 4, was otherwise engaged thus the afternoon slipped by as I napped in the deck chair. Kuterevo Refuge founder eventually came to slurp a coffee, shoot a rakija and drain a water (in that order, all with his eyes closed) and we were driven back to hear about the witch who had visited during the day as the rowdy priests and nuns cleansed the place (out at least gawked at the bears). I did some of my own gawking and captured some brilliant images of tussling big bears. At 7:55pm Lukas asked for 30 kuna and we ran with a wheelbarrow full of empties to the one and only shop in the village, stocking up before they closed for the night at 8. Marco, the newly nut free two year old, showed that he was recovered as he ran excitedly around his enclosure, batting his new tire swing around, while I collected wood for my totem. This would be painted sometime after moving to American House lounge and finishing the case (but never the unending supply of rakija) as the night descended into a full on goodbye party for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment